Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Let's be Real

Once upon a time I made plans in my life… and sometimes they happened.  The more I walked along this road called life, the more I noticed the reoccurring pattern that most of my plans got changed right before they were supposed to happen because my best friend God knew a little better.  SO….I got REAL smart, and kept making plans J…once again what I thought I was going to be doing is not the case.  Yes, mom, I am exaggerating, but only a little.  My plans to go to Mozambique and work for a few months are not exactly going to work out.  The job is still happening, but once again it has been delayed until January; however, I’m committed to start working full time with LCF in January so… this is me bummed about not getting to do a sweet job….



 BUT…
Doing just fine because I trust God to use this time for His purposes and KNOWING His plan is best anyway…





 What does that mean for me, Zach and Dan?  Great question…We are in the process of figuring that out.  Most likely, I we will all stay where we are for the month of November.  I did finally hear from the guys.  They sound like they are doing wonderful and God is growing them like crazy.  I still can’t give much more detail about them (sorry), but will give a full report ASAP.  There has been a lot going on for me.  I mostly have been helping other people with different church events, admin work and setting up for events or meetings.. 

In the last two weeks I have gone to a couple different orphanages/children’s homes; one in the city and one in the township.  There is opportunity to get involved with either place, mostly doing leadership development type discipleship/mentoring.  It is overwhelming because a lot of these kids don’t need leadership training (at least how I think of leadership training), they need someone to spend time with them so they really believe they are valuable.  Almost all the kids in both places are there because of court orders which usually means they were pulled out of horribly situations often involving some kind of abuse.  When your innocence, purity and dignity are stolen from you “leadership development” looks slightly different than with an average high school/college student in the states.  The other huge obstacle is the culture and language differences.  I’m not exactly walking into a high school with a pretty good idea of the mindsets and environments these kids grew up in…the thinking is totally different and it takes time and is challenging to learn and understand their perspectives.  I will probably spend a handful of time at these places before January and then really evaluate my time and ability to invest into these places. 

I also met with a lady who is the director of a non-profit that channels money, resources and mentors 72 different charities/non-profits.  She is very knowledgeable and experienced.  The goal is to possibly be able to partner with her organization and mutually benefit one another with some projects we are hoping to be involved with next year.  I can’t say a whole lot about what these projects are yet as they are still in the “discussion” stage, but I’m excited about the possibility and how I may get to be involved. 

To be totally honest with you, I was really looking forward to the Mozambique job, so it is pretty disappointing to not get to do it.  Life has been, and continues to be, very uncertain.  I often ask the Lord what I’m really doing here.  I have lots of questions, some out of my general impatience, but some rooted out of really wanting to know and walk in God’s will.  I can’t tell you how strong and for how long I have felt the Lord put big dreams in me; most of which at this point, are broad ideas (hence me in Africa), but the specifics haven’t actually been revealed yet.  As I continue to ask the Lord all my questions, I know that more than anything I don’t want to miss the life God destined me to have.  One of my biggest fears right now is that I will try and take control of my life and miss out on what God really wanted to do with it.  I know whatever it is, is not the conventional life; it’s probably not the safe route; and it most definitely requires a lot of faith. I have to say, I have a lot of faith in God –in His power and ability; but, I have realized I REALLY struggle to have faith in God’s power in me.  So, while I pray for God’s will, I think the Lord is first bringing me to have faith in Him and His power and ability IN ME...
”I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know […] his incomparably great power for us who believe.  That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms…” (Eph 1:18-20). 

We have an Incredible God who has fought and won for us!  In whatever is going on, in your life know that for those who believe your solid ground is:
“him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen” (Eph 3:20-21) 

Here are the pictures of my apartment I never got up before.  Still working on the decorating...



This is why dieting in this country doesn't work...typical Braii (aka BBQ)




  

No comments:

Post a Comment