Tuesday, April 24, 2012


I’ve been staring at my computer screen for the last few minutes wondering how in the world to get the jumble in my head onto this “paper.”  Recollections of the last month (and then some) mixed with the emotion of gratitude, awe and love are cramming my brainwaves…(sigh)…(deep breath)…

The many friends and family who have had the opportunity to visit South Africa will testify that there is something unexplainable to life here.  From the outside my life is fairly unexciting… J Most days I spend the morning in the office, often times running off to meet with a community partner, kids at a high school, business people to plan upcoming events or attending a church function.  The part of life we can’t see from the outside is the beautiful and extraordinary event that takes place every time the Holy Spirit speaks to us.  In the quiet of my apartment, through a scripture He brings to mind, through the joy of kids receiving their first Bible, through the dawning of a new day or the brilliance of a sunset the Lord has faithfully spoken to me.  The voice, often the whisper, of the Holy Spirit reminding me that I am His, reminding me of His love for me, makes my everyday life extraordinary.  It’s not that I couldn’t hear Him back home, but I believe the Lord wanted to get me alone with Him to know Him in a deeper way.  There is a spiritual depth I experience here in South Africa that I haven’t experienced in the states (yet), which brings me to my knees in humble adoration for the love and life the Lord has given me…the gratitude, awe and love I spoke of is rooted out of this depth of relationship, that which I cannot explain to you, but pray you may experience it for yourself. 

There is simply not enough time and space (and it would probably bore you) to tell you about everything I’m doing and what the Lord has been showing me.  So again, here are some highlights…

The Living Water Project…
A friend of ours who owns a water distribution store donated 5,000 5-liter jugs of water to be distributed in and around Klerksdorp (where Kjelsi lives).  About 100 volunteers took two days to load the water onto trucks and trailers and then distribute the water to a handful of different destinations that had been pre-arranged.  My group took about 600 jugs to a township.  We were put in contact with a local pastor who told us where to pull over (literally) and start handing out the water.  On each jug had a sticker explaining that Jesus is the Living Water.  As people received the jugs of water we also had the opportunity to share Christ with them.  So far, this was one of my favorite day because I love being in the township and I love being able to bless the people there with a necessity, even more so when it simply is coming out of the love of Christ.






Polokong…
I believe I have mentioned it already, but Polokong is the orphanage and community center I volunteer at once/week.  The kids I do leadership development with are simply amazing.  They have an eagerness to grow, servant hearts and a deep desire to know the Lord.  Last week God told me to start talking about courage with them and encouraging them to be agents of change in their communities.  It was such an incredible time with them.  They soaked it all in.   A friend of mine donated some money to me so I went and bought the kids Bibles…I have never been so blessed by giving something to someone before.  They were really excited.  One boy, Jacob said, “YEA!!  I can preach now!!!!”  I guarantee you he has given at least one sermon this week.  J





Worship…

My friend Rene and I organized a multi-cultural worship night at the end of March at a church in the township.  It was amazing!!!  We worshiped God in at least 3 different languages; our group compromised of at least 4 ethnicities and at least 5 different churches.  We serve a God of the nations, how awesome to come together and worship Him as one body!



Of course it was a highlight to have my dad come for a few days on his way back to Mozambique and for my boyfriend (yes people I have a boyfriend, you can all praise God! J ) to come visit for a week.  Now I look forward to my mom coming next week again.  I hope you never feel sorry for me that I’m “all the way in Africa by myself”…that’s just a flat out lie. J  I leave you with a short paragraph I wrote in my journal last month…just something to think about.  Love you all!





“Today was an amazing day.  On one hand I was blessed like a spoiled daughter of the King and on the other hand I was confronted with the reality of such darkness and evil in the world.  I live in a world of evil and yet experience the world/kingdom of love and light.  How they constantly conflict in this broken world.  I wonder why it is that there is so much conflict when the light has already won.  How has the enemy been able to preoccupy, manipulate and deceive God’s people to the point of us not realizing and missing the power and authority we have in Christ thru the Holy Spirit?  … do we have the smallest clue about what life could be?  I feel like we are so far from what we could live in…God’s Kingdom here on earth.  Do we even know what living in His kingdom looks like? Really?”

No comments:

Post a Comment